Hot water - Save on running costs with gas or solar hot water systems
Save on running costs with high efficiency gas or solar hot water systems. Buy a gas hot water system with at least 5 stars.
In Victoria, hot water accounts for around 20% of household energy use. A high efficiency gas hot water system is one of the most economical types of water heaters when operated on natural gas. The cheapest and most environmentally friendly type of water heating to run is natural gas-boosted solar.
Hot water system types
There are two basic types of hot water systems:
- Storage water is heated and stored in an insulated tank for use when required.
- Instantaneous (or continuous flow) heats the water only when it’s required. A storage tank isn’t needed.
|Energy Source||Type||Energy Rating||Annual Cost*|
|Small 1–2 people/100 litres per day Natural Gas Storage|
|Electricity||Storage – P tariff||N/A||$682|
|Instant – P tariff||N/A||$535|
|Storage – OP tariff||N/A||$508|
|Solar||Natural gas boosted+||N/A||$91|
|Electric boosted – OP tariff+||N/A||$194|
|Medium 3–4 people/200 litres per day|
|Electricity||Storage – P tariff||N/A||$1337|
|Instant – P tariff||N/A||$1070|
|Storage – OP tariff||N/A||$859|
|Solar||Natural gas boosted+||N/A||$158|
|Electric boosted – OP tariff+||N/A||$293|
|Large 5+ people/250 litres per day|
|Electricity||Storage – P tariff||N/A||$ 1,609|
|Instant – P tariff||N/A||$ 1,337|
|Storage – OP tariff||N/A||$ 1035|
|Solar||Natural gas boosted+||N/A||$209|
|Electric boosted – OP tariff+||N/A||$399|
Compare star ratings
- For gas, use the energy rating label to find the most efficient hot water system to suit your needs.
- To further compare models refer to the energy consumption number on the label.
Buy to save in the long run
- Buy a gas hot water system with at least 5 stars, every extra star will save you money.
- Choose the right sized system for your hot water needs in consultation with your hot water specialist.
- Install the system close to your hot water outlets and use closed-cell rubber insulation on pipes.
- For instantaneous systems choose electronic ignition instead of a continuous pilot light to reduce gas consumption.
- Keep your shower under four minutes and make further savings.